Sunday, October 7, 2012

President Monson's Announcement

On October 6th, 2012 I was at a debate tournament. It was the first one of the season and I was enjoying judging and getting to know my debators (I am the assistant debate coach for Westlake High School). Everything was going great and I had a little break around 10 am to sit in the coach/judges room and chat with my dad (who was kind enough to be one of my judges). After a few minutes I walked over to the printer and as I was walking back to the table I had been sitting at, my dad stood up, came over, and shoved a phone into my face. I read the tiny screen, showing a text message that said that the age requirement for missionaries had changed. It said that men can leave at age 18 and women at age 19.
I burst into tears of pure joy.

President Monson's announcement made me happier than I could ever imagine I would be. I have spent countless hours thinking about the possibility of my mission. I had wanted to go SO BADLY when Rilee left for Japan, but because I am only 19, I struggled with the thought of waiting around for two more years. The age change is so amazingly perfect and I cannot wait to start the process of filling out my papers and getting my mission call.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment